[Sca-cooks] (other acids used around the house/kitchen?)

El Hermoso Dormido ElHermosoDormido at dogphilosophy.net
Wed Jul 10 12:16:41 PDT 2002

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 12:48 pm, Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

> Other acids used in cookery?  Well, I have a jar of citric acid crystals,
> also called "sour salt" used to keep cut fruit from browning and add a sour
> zest when there's no citrus in the house.

Don't forget Tartaric and Malic acids.  (Verjuice from sour grapes, primarily
tartaric acid if I recall correctly, or from crabapples, primarily malic acid
I think.)

Of course, "cream of tartar" is tartaric acid partially-reacted with potassium
(hydroxide? Carbonate?  Doesn't really matter, I suppose, since the end
result is the same - the "monopotassium salt of tartaric acid").

Signed,
El Hermoso Dormido, blatant nerd.