[Sca-cooks] Fermented fish

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Jul 10 12:35:42 PDT 2002

> > My understanding is that it's air-dried cod or ling, similar to
> > medieval stockfish, soaked in a lye solution to tenderize, rinsed
> > completely, then cooked. The gelid texture is the result of the
> > breakdown of connective tissue during the lye soak. There is a
> > perfectly recognizable lutefisk recipe (although under another name)
> > in Sabina Welserin's 1553 cookbook.
>
> Would that also be how gefiltefish is made as well? I have never studied
> Kosher foods, so I'm wondering if lutefisk and gefiltefish are along the same
> principles.
>
> Thanks for claryifing Master A!
> Finnebhir Moon Dancer

Gefilte fish is minced and poached, made from fresh fish. IIRC, it comes
from a stuffed fish preparation made in response to a proscription against
picking at the bones of your dinner--if you take all the meat and mince it
up, then put it back in the skin, you can eat it all with no waste yet
still be following the law.

Gefilte=stuffed or filled. I don't recall if it's Low or High German,
though.

Margaret