[Sca-cooks] Japanese cooking

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at PO-BOX.McGill.Ca
Thu Jul 11 21:54:35 PDT 2002

Answering a query posted a few days ago about period Japanese cookery, I
could find mention of two period cookbooks, the Chu-ji-ruiki and the Ryori
Monogatari (this one dating from the 1640's, a bit late period but it's
better than nothing).

It seems that diaries of monasteries often includes detail of the
preparation of different dishes; one such diary would be the Tamanin-nikki.

I haven't started to look for english translations of these items, I don't
even know if there is one (although I believe there is an effort going on
to translate the Ryori Monogatari, I'm not sure if it's completed yet). If
I find anything else I'll let you know (I've been toying around with the
idea of a Japanese feast myself, although not for another full year at
least...).

YIS

Petru "cel Paros" Voda