[Sca-cooks] Bread & Butter Pickle Recipe - OOP

Liadan Liadan at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 12 04:41:20 PDT 2002

I pulled the recipe from "Putting Food By" Hertzberg, Vaughn & Greene.
They attribute it to Isabelle Downey's "Food Preservation in Alabama."

Bread-and-Butter Pickles
Seven Pints

6 pounds medium cucumbers (I like them no bigger around than a quarter)
1 1/2 cups sliced onions (I try to get them the same diameter as the
cucumbers)
2 large garlic cloves, left whole
1/3 cup salt
2 trays of ice cubes or crushed ice
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons tumeric
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed
3 cups white vinegar

Wash the cucumbers thoroughly; drain; cut unpeeled cucumbers into
1/4-inch slices.  In a large bowl, combine the cucumber slices, onions,
garlic and salt; cover with the crushed ice or ice cubes, mix thoroughly
and let stand for 3 hours.  Drain off the liquid and remove the garlic.
Combine the sugar, spices and vinegar and heat just to a boil.  Add the
cucumber and onion slices; simmer together 10 minutes. Pack loosely in
clean, hot pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headroom; remove air bubbles.
Adjust lids; process in a Boiling-water Bath for 10 minutes.  Remove.
Complete seals if necessary.

Note: for show purposes, they look prettier if you get the cucumbers and
onion slices the same size, but it doesn't affect the taste.

Liadan