[Sca-cooks] Favorite pickles (was vinegar)

Varju at aol.com Varju at aol.com
Fri Jul 12 00:46:49 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/11/02 9:46:54 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
afmmurphy at earthlink.net writes:

> OK, this is not aimed at you alone, but at everyone. Several people
> today have said some variation of "If anyone is interested" they will
> post a recipe.

Well I really didn't want to clog things up with a VERY OOP recipe. :->

Dill Pickles (one jar at a time)

Place as much dill, as many garlic cloves and, if you want, as much onion as
you want in the jar, then pack with cucumbers.  Add 1/2 cup vinegar to jar,
fill the rest of way with boiling water, then pour out all of the liquid into
a pan or bowl.   Add 1 Tablespoon rock salt and 1/8 teaspoon alum to jar,
then pour vinegar/boiling water back into jar.  Clean jar lip and put on lid.

**Notes**
The amount of dill, garlic and onion depends on how strong you want the
pickles.  I personally use a lot of dill, and a couple garlic cloves.  The
onions I usually take a medium sized oinion and cut it into chunks and put
one in.  Since it can be done one jar at a time its easy to experiment and
find out the amounts you like.
I prefer to use fresh dill, but dried works OK.  I also use the whole  dill,
flowers or seed heads and leaves.  I'm not sure if just using dill seeds
would give as strong of pickles.
I use one of those bowls that has a handle and pour spout to pour the
vinegar/boiling water into, it makes it easier to pour back into the jars.

Noemi