[Sca-cooks] RE: Tomato evidence

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sat Jul 13 10:08:33 PDT 2002

Adamantius writes:

>How about the Epulario? (I don't have a copy...) It was translated
>into English either before, or not long after, 1600, and is plainly a
>period, post-Columbian, Italian cookbook.

It's a post-Columbian translation, but it isn't clear to what degree
it is a post-Columbian Italian cookbook. There's a very high
correlation among Epulario, Platina, and Martino--long strings of
recipes in the same order. There's even a scribal error that's in the
same recipe in all three (a pound of ginger instead of an ounce of
ginger). It's possible that the cookbook Epulario is a translation of
includes post-Columbian material--I haven't tried looking through it
to see--but at lot of it is clearly pre-Columbian.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/