[Sca-cooks] chowder - OOP (silly)

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Mon Jul 15 13:11:09 PDT 2002

On Monday, July 15, 2002, at 03:02 PM, Erika Thomenius wrote:
>> See, that's exactly my point. Universal chowder orthodoxy does not
>> exist,
>
> It does too!  Heretic!  I will launch the jihad!  :)
>
> </fanatic>

Ah, a religious argument!  The truth can be found in the Book of
Refreshments
(http://www.bookofrefreshments.com/refresh9.html#19)

Book of Refreshments
Chapter 9, Verses 19 through 35

19. In time did Ethelred meet with his friends at the Soup and Salad
Bar, for it was Tuesday and one could fill the bowl many times for one
low price.

20. There they did make many trips, and Tok did partake of sunflower
seeds, bean sprouts, chick peas, and all things that weren't lettuce,
and Quad did defeat the sneeze guard and eat all the bacon bits, and Tim
did grumble many times that the chowder had tomatoes in it.

21. Then did Ethelred say "I like chowder with tomatoes in it", and his
friends decried his tastes.

22. With his spoon, Ethelred did loudly slurp the chowder with tomatoes,
and did make an "Ahh!" sound to show great satisfaction.

23. Ethelred did then praise the chowder with tomatoes and remark upon
the freshness of the small bits of seafood contained therein.

24. And Twill did falsly claim to have done something unsanitairy to
Ethelred's soup.

25. Then did Ethelred say, "This soup reminds me of a story," and his
friends threatened to annoint him with a garlic vinagrette.

26. But Ethelred's skull was as stone to their taunts, or maybe wood,
and he did begin his story anyway saying, "In the Land of Spork there
were two brothers, Harry and Walter, who were both apprenticed to the
same master."

27. One day their master decided to test them, and he said to each one,
"Make for me the best soup that you can, and the one whos soup I like
the best will be promoted from the ranks of apprentice."

28. Not wishing to be outdone by his brother, Harry slinked off to his
master's ancient recipe books and copied a recipe for clam chowder that
had been marked in red and took it off to his corner of the great
kitchen to work.

29. But Walter has seen Harry consulting the ancient books and said to
himself, "If that rat is going to cheat then there's no way I can win
unless I cheat too!"

30. Therefor Walter also made his way to his master's books with great
stealth, and copied a different recipe for clam chowder which had also
been marked in red.

31. At supper time when both apprentices were finished cooking, they
presented their work to the master and awaited his judgement.

32. The master examined the soups and commented that one was cream based
and the other was tomato based, and each apprentice felt that he had
stolen the winning recipe.

33. Then the master carefully sampled each one, and then fell to the
floor and frothed at the mouth, for he was deathly allergic to shellfish.

34. At this point in the story did Ethelred pause in order to allow his
friends time to return from their latest trip to the salad bar.

35. And Ethelred did wait an awfully long time.