[Sca-cooks] RE: Tomato evidence

Diamond Randall ringofkings at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 15 20:55:56 PDT 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

>...um..hit a nerve Akim???...come over here..a hug and sympathy may make it
>a little better..care for a cup of tea..or a glass of wine??
>Olwen

No, not really.  Admittedly, the tomato has the weakest case of the
four I mentioned.  However, I find it quite incredible that there is
hard documentation for the tomato plant, but that in 50 years, no
one had the curiosity to sample the very appealing fruits.  Yes, the
rest of the plant is poisonous, but someone had to try it to find this
out or on animals.  It and the potato are of the nightshade group, but
not obviously so from their appearance.  I also would
suspect that ANY plant from the New World was the subject of
quite a bit of experimentation as so many of them were so unique
and successful in culinary terms.  Tobacco, pineapple, vanilla, chocolate,
etc.   I tend to think perhaps along the way that a lot of real
data on uses was totally jumbled by conflicting authorities who were
loudly promoting their theories of humours, hot/cold and other mumbo
jumbo concepts and invented false data.  This is especially IMO
the case with the vile charlatan Culpepper who even today has
undeserved authority in herbal lore.

Akim

--- Diamond Randall
--- ringofkings at mindspring.com[1]