[Sca-cooks] RE: Tomato evidence

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Jul 15 23:11:40 PDT 2002

>[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
>
>>...um..hit a nerve Akim???...come over here..a hug and sympathy may make it
>>a little better..care for a cup of tea..or a glass of wine??
>>Olwen
>
>No, not really.  Admittedly, the tomato has the weakest case of the
>four I mentioned.  However, I find it quite incredible that there is
>hard documentation for the tomato plant, but that in 50 years, no
>one had the curiosity to sample the very appealing fruits.

I'm not sure what the reason would be for thinking that nobody
sampled it, nor am I aware of anyone claiming that. Don't we have a
reference to their being eaten in Italy in the sixteenth century? I'm
pretty sure one of the Italian herbalists says they are bad for you,
which implies that people have been eating them. What we don't have
are recipes that would tell us what they did with them, beyond  one
brief reference which I think specifies fried in oil.

--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/