[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks digest, Vol 1 #2146 Tomatoes

margaret m.p.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 15 20:18:39 PDT 2002

     Has anyone discussed   the produce in the painting *Summer* (painted
1563) by Giuseppe Arcimbaldo (1527-1593).  There is an image of it at:

http://www.abcgallery.com/A/arcimboldo/arcimboldo2.html

     The image on my computer screen is harder to see than the 15 year
old postcard I have of the image.  Above the cherries and below the
raspberries/blackberries is a fruit that looks like a plum tomato to me,
albeit a golden one.  I have not seen modern yellow plum tomatoes, and I
don't  know the shapes of old varieties--I am interested in Northern
Europe, and am content to think of the tomato as out of period for what I
do.

    Elizabeth

I think those are ripe figs. Margarite