[Sca-cooks] Romanian sources [long]

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 15 20:59:43 PDT 2002

--- Patrick Levesque <pleves1 at PO-BOX.McGill.Ca> wrote:
> No, that was the next thing I was going to search
> for (I thought some of
> those islamic recipes would have been from or near
> Turkey) but suddenly my
> hopes are crashing down :-)
>
> Although there should also be some byzantine
> cookbooks around, I hope...

Only one I know of is Anthimus, and how Byzantine that
truly is, I don't know. He was writing up rules for
good healthful eating, rather than a Cookbook, per se.

The next closest reference I've found is Soup for the
Qan, severel centuries later. While it is thought of
as a Chinese reference, more accurately it describes
the influences the Mongols had on Chinese food, and
vice versa.

Myself, I'd be very interested in more references from
that area. My interest is in the Khazars, quite
nearby, as well as the Goths in that area, about 500.
Since we know the Khazars are a Turkic people,
anything we can document about what they ate would be
helpful, but so far, while I've managed to find a list
of foodstuffs known to have been grown in that area at
that time, that doesn't tell me a thing about how they
cooked them, or even if they did.

> I still have 7 months before that feast, so I'll
> keep searching

Well, do keep us informed- if I find anything, I'll
let you know.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,