[Sca-cooks] Re:Cakes was Letter of introduction and plea for help

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jul 16 03:45:25 PDT 2002

Welcome Isabella---
 I can't take much time this am; I am
off to the hospital for tests soon.

What exactly do you mean by
"true cake type dessert"?

Think about using the yeasted cakes or breads
as the model here as found in the traditional
Christmas cakes and desserts that are still made
in Italy today.

Modern cakes use baking powders etc. which would not
have been used in Venice, sometime around 1550.

I'll try and look later today, if no one posts a selection
before then.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Isabella di Giovanni wrote: snipped
> My problem is  that because I am new to this (SCA, from around Feb this year) I don't have the experience nor the links to help in my quest for a tried and true cake type dessert, prefferably from my homeland. I am the co-feastocrat for our upcoming Defender Tourney (Aug 2, 3 & 4) and am having some problems with my original idea.>
> Any help I could get would be very much appreciated.
Isabella