[Sca-cooks] Letter of introduction and plea for help

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Jul 15 23:46:13 PDT 2002

Isabella declared:
> May I be so bold as to introduce myself. My name is Isabella Francesca Nicc=
> ola di Giovanni. I came to the beautiful shire of Fontaine dans Sable, King=
> dom of the Outlands, North America from Venice, sometime around 1550.

Welcome to SCA-Cooks!

> My problem is (well, as I always say..one of) that because I am new to this=
>  (SCA, from around Feb this year)

You might want to take a look at some of the files in the NEWCOMERS
section of my Florilegium. The link is in my sig. line below.

> I don't have the experience nor the links=
>  to help in my quest for a tried and true cake type dessert, prefferably fr=
> om my homeland.

Take a look at some of the files in the FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED section
in my files. Here are a few files that might help:
14C-Sweets-art    (17K)  9/14/00    "Sweets and Treats of the 14C"
                                        by Lady Hauviette d'Anjou.
3-Span-Sweets-art (13K)  4/26/01    Three Spanish sweet dishes from de Nola by
                                        Vicente.
Andlsn-Pstres-art (20K) 11/24/01    "Andalusian Pastries" by Dinah bint Ismai'l.
desserts-msg     (112K)  1/12/01    Medieval and SCA dessert recipes. Sweets.
Digby-Cakes-art   (12K)  6/30/01    "Excellent Small Cakes Revisited"
                                        by Tirloch of Tallaght.
pastries-msg     (126K)  6/20/01    Medieval pastries. Recipes.
Rosquillas-msg    (15K)  6/20/01    Spanish pastry of biscotti-like rings.
shortbread-msg    (32K)  1/12/01    Period shortbread. Recipes and directions.

No, many of these files are not Italy specific, but very few of my
files are arranged that way. You might want to look in the FOOD-BY-REGION
section or the FOOD-BOOKS sections for some information and
referances that may be more Italy specific.

>I am the co-feastocrat for our upcoming Defender Tourney (A=
> ug 2, 3 & 4) and am having some problems with my original idea.

I don't know if you have done anything like this before, inside or
outside of the SCA but the folks on this list can help you with
various things on running a feast since many have done this before.
You might also want to look in some of the files in the FEASTS
section such as:

feast-serving-msg (94K)  6/18/02    Ideas for serving feasts. How to organise.

Fst-Managemnt-art (12K)  7/22/01    "Feast Management" by Lady Eden Blacksmith.
Fst-Menus-art     (11K)  4/15/99    "On Rules for Feast Menus"
                                       by Lord Daniel Raoul le Vascon du Navarre.
headcooks-msg    (155K)  5/17/01    Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.
high-table-msg    (26K) 12/13/01    Setting up and serving the High Table.

Here are two example feasts that do have an Italian flavor:

Platina-Feast-art (10K)  5/24/01    A feast from Platina by Lady Clotild.
Platina-Lunch-art  (8K)  5/24/01    An Italian lunch using recipes from Platina.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net