[Sca-cooks] Letter of introduction and plea for help

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 15 21:59:01 PDT 2002

On 15 Jul 2002, at 21:36, Isabella di Giovanni wrote:

> My problem is (well, as I always say..one of) that because I am new to
> this (SCA, from around Feb this year) I don't have the experience nor
> the links to help in my quest for a tried and true cake type dessert,
> prefferably from my homeland.

Welcome to SCA-Cooks!  If you haven't already discovered it,
Stefan's Florilegium www.florilegium.org is a treasure-trove of SCA
information.

The cake as we know it -- leavened with baking soda/powder  -- is
a modern creation.  But there are certainly sweet baked good
appropriate to Renaissance Italy.  Might I suggest a cheesecake?
There are several period recipes at:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/cheesecake-msg.html

A few other cooking links you might want to investigate when you
have a spare decade or two:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/food.html
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Medieval.html
http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/topics/cook.htm