[Sca-cooks] medieval Japanese [food] for the total novice..

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at PO-BOX.McGill.Ca
Tue Jul 16 07:16:57 PDT 2002

My knowledge of Heian Japan is very limited, but I think I remember
something about people eating chicken or meat, and "pretending" for
appearances sake that it was something else (like fish)... even though
nobody would actually get fooled by this, this would have been a convenient
way to vary their diet.

I Couldn't point the exact reference, might be in Murasaki's Diary, not in
the Tale of Gengi as far as I remember...  I can't even garantee the
authenticity, but I'll try and find out more

Petru