[Sca-cooks] Feast Procedural Question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jul 16 12:47:50 PDT 2002

Also sprach Jim Fox-Davis:
>Hi, gang, I have an odd question for you who've also done a lot of
>feasts (or even one) in the SCA.  I've been doing them for 26 years, and
>for the first time, I've been asked to prepare three menus at different
>price points (costs of $8, $10, and $12 a person for food and prep
>costs), for the "Committee" to then tell me how much I have to spend.
>Every other time I've done a feast, they've told me what my budget was,
>and I went from there.
>
>In addition, my Baron wants veto power over the menu.  The last several
>times we've done feasts, we've hardly even told them in advance what
>they're getting, and they've always been happy.  We always have
>alternate dishes prepared for those with allergies and those who's
>dietary restrictions are unusual (Vegetarians, low sodium, etc.  Has
>anyone else been seeing this sort of response?

I've never experienced anything quite like that. I think perhaps as
our groups get larger, more cooks are available in some locations,
and there's a little bit of competition between them, and you can't
necessarily volunteer to cook for an event you know is coming up in
six months, and find that you were the first to volunteer to run the
kitchen. And that's okay, as long as everyone who wants to contribute
in some way gets a chance to do so.

On the other hand, it can sometimes make people feel cooks are a dime
a dozen, and that their help is very much conditional. While I
wouldn't want to encourage any kind of primadonna behavior or
attitude, you can't lose sight of the fact that you are performing a
service for your group, and that they need your help, or that of
someone else like you, more than you need that kind of regimentation.
I mean, if that bothers you. Maybe your group, and you, would be
better off if they found someone else to do it. Or not. Up to you.

I usually ask for my budget, announce a tentative menu shortly before
the event, and take it from there. I seem to be able to get away with
working this way, but others' mileage may vary.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER