[Sca-cooks] Feast Procedural Question

Tue Jul 16 13:37:29 PDT 2002

In my case, I'm usually asked to submit a bid in which I provide a menu, the
cost per plate, pricing information per plate, and a simple cost analysis of
various break even points and profits.  It sounds as if your "Committee"
knows very little about planning and budgeting feasts or finances.  Why
don't you ask them what their intent is, holding costs down, maximizing
profit, etc., and provide them a bid to match their goals.

I've got no particular problem with the Baron having veto power, but for me
it is an all or nothing thing.  He can accept or reject the menu.  If he
rejects it, he can find another cook.  To keep everyone from being
embarassed, why not ask him what he is really after?  Ask him what he wants
and prepare your menu to accomodate some or all of his desires.  He is your
patron after all.

The last feast for which I was steward, I was asked to prepare Elizabethean
by the Baroness.  My response was, "Real Elizabethean."  She came back, "But
people have to eat it!"  To which I replied, "Have you ever known me to
prepare inedible food."  Since the Baron and Baroness have some opposing
gastric problems, I made sure that there was food for both of them in each
course.  I also made sure they knew what the menu was before it was
submitted to the finance committee, who were more interested in cost, price,
and break even, than the food.

I maintain the strict rule that if my bid is accepted, I am in absolute
control of what I produce (which often includes entertainment as well as
food).  But I try to arrange things so I don't have to butt heads with
people.

Obviously, someone sat on a hair and it's making them twitch.  Talk to them
before you put in a bid and find out why they want to make the changes.
Then if you choose to put in a bid, give them something that will satisfy
their needs, but leave you with the control you need to prepare a feast.

If you can't negotiate an agreement, walk away.

Bear