[Sca-cooks] chowder - OOP

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Jul 16 16:51:39 PDT 2002

I have promised myself just another ten minutes on the
computer before I have to go and ice the leg again.
(Tests today were inconclusive at best.)
So this will be brief and to the point.

I struggled over and managed to retrieve my copy of
Sandra Oliver's massive volume Saltwater Foodways has
an entire chaper on "Chowder and Chowder Parties" on pages
293-309.

She dates a printed recipe to Hannah Glasse in the 1789 edition
of The Art of Cookery, where it's given as
"To make chowder, a sea dish." She includes a great deal
of material about potatoes, onions, and milk in chowder
as the 19th century progressed. She notes that chowder today
has become a matter more of texture than content. And she
discusses all the variants.
Sandra Oliver by the way is the editor of Food History News where
they have also discussed chowders.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Philip & Susan Troy wrote: snipped---