[Sca-cooks] Dealing with ill-equiped Barons

Jim Fox-Davis firedrake at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 17 10:21:27 PDT 2002

Mark S. Harris wrote:

[snip]

> How long has this Baron had his position? I think that he may be in
> over his head and flailing at whomever comes within reach.

Not really.  He's been Baron for 7+ years, and before that has been
Editor of the Kingdom Newsletter, Secretary of the Pelicans, and a solid
feast chef in his own right.  I've known him since '76, when we were
both skinnier and less gray.  That's why this behavior has startled me.

> Among other things:
> "The position of Baron/ess is a most unusual leadership position.  We
> place a
> person  in an obvious leadership position and yet we do not give them the
> authority to do the job.  The authority rests with the Seneschal, the
> legal
> representative of the SCA.  So, the Baron/ess must make his own way,
> using his
> own leadership abilities to create an atmosphere where his populace
> will be
> willing to follow."

Unfortunately, during his tenure as Baron, he's had at least two
Seneschals who've really 'screwed the pooch' if I may be so bold; one of
them almost caused the Barony to cease to exist.  Thus, he feels he must
take a more direct role in the administration of the Barony.  One line
in that above statement, however, just hit me -- as Baronial Seneschal,
as well as Head Cook, _I_ am the one _legally_ responsible for making
this feast work, however he may feel about his position vis-a-vis the
crowned heads.

Jared