[Sca-cooks] Terminology, was Sauce Foyot

A F Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 17 12:36:16 PDT 2002

OK, it's my turn to ask the questions...

For them of us as are not classically trained chefs, or diners, what Is
a Sauce Foyot? Something made with Béarnaise, I gather... I think I've
met Béarnaise...

I am quite as Celtic as Adamantius, and agree about the power of all
words, and especially names. But this presents a problem to those who
may have only seen a name misused, and know not what they do. I mean, I
had no idea that Beef Bourguignon required glazed pearl onions... learn
something new every day! (No, I've never made it, or thought I made it,
though I do make a good stew...)

Have you any suggestions about ways to remedy this? Other than reading
all of Escoffier - or, how hard would that be, anyway? You know, bearing
in mind that those of us who might want to do this are apt to be those
of us already a bit overextended?  Is there a handy-dandy dictionary
that is easy to get hold of and reliable that you would recommend?

Anne

The real St. Martha was just a woman with drop in guests who wanted a
little help in the kitchen...