[Sca-cooks] Terminology, was Sauce Foyot

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jul 17 14:12:26 PDT 2002

Also sprach A F Murphy:
>OK, it's my turn to ask the questions...
>
>For them of us as are not classically trained chefs, or diners, what Is
>a Sauce Foyot? Something made with Béarnaise, I gather... I think I've
>met Béarnaise...

Foyot is Bearnaise to which melted glace de viande (brown veal stock
reduced to a thick, syrupy glaze, which will solidify when cold) has
been added. It's _extremely_ rich, but probably the ultimate sauce
for a filet mignon.

>I am quite as Celtic as Adamantius, and agree about the power of all
>words, and especially names. But this presents a problem to those who
>may have only seen a name misused, and know not what they do. I mean, I
>had no idea that Beef Bourguignon required glazed pearl onions... learn
>something new every day! (No, I've never made it, or thought I made it,
>though I do make a good stew...)

In the nineteenth century, which is when the idea of linking specific
names to specific dishes that all trained chefs could recognize, and
a more or less universal terminology was developed, glazed pearl
onions became irrevocably linked with most foods stylized
"Bourguignon". The use of Burgundy wine goes without saying; the name
described the garnishes. So, all dishes stylized "Bon Femme", for
example, had similar garnishes of peas, mushrooms, and pearl onions
stewed with bacon. Most "Florentine" dishes involved spinach,
"Andalusienne" (is it eggplants or sweet peppers, or both? I
forget...).

>Have you any suggestions about ways to remedy this? Other than reading
>all of Escoffier - or, how hard would that be, anyway? You know, bearing
>in mind that those of us who might want to do this are apt to be those
>of us already a bit overextended?  Is there a handy-dandy dictionary
>that is easy to get hold of and reliable that you would recommend?
>
>Anne
>
>The real St. Martha was just a woman with drop in guests who wanted a
>little help in the kitchen...

See if you can find a copy of _The Saucier's Apprentice_... It covers
most of the ground regarding sauces and garnishes (also stocks), but
is far less detailed than Escoffier in other areas, at least those
areas which it even mentions... it is written with the
non-professional in mind.

Adamantius

deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER