[Sca-cooks] Cornbread....

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 15:09:52 PDT 2002

--- johnna holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
wrote:
and

> Michael Gunter wrote:

Both of them, a lot about cornbread.

The difference between Yankee cornbread and Southern
cornbread is not the sugar, exactly, but how it is
perceived and used in the two cuisines. Any Southerner
who can afford to do so will add at least a pinch of
sugar to cornbread- the difference is that Southern
cornbread is more of a basic staple, a meal stretcher,
and the Yankee version is more of a lagniappe, a cake
or "extra" thing.

As an example, friend of mine from Kentucky, towards
the end of the month when he was down to beans and
bacon (and beer) would make up a big pot of beans
every night, or heat up the previous night's beans,
and he HAD to have corn bread to go with them. Rather
than the baked cornbread y'all are so used to, he'd
put bacon grease in a pan and fry it up- pretty good,
actually, with some greens on the side.

But, by the same token, Southern folk eat a lot of
corn because it's cheaper than wheat, or was for many
decades. That's why grits and cornbread are so popular
down south. The no-sugar thing isn't an absolute, it's
just one of the frills that's the first to go when
money's tight, along with pure coffee (or do you know
where chicory in coffee originated?).

Myself, it's not the sugar per se in Yankee cornbread
that I dislike, although I'm not known for my sweet
tooth. It's the position it holds in a meal, that
makes something truly Southern or not, to me.

Phlip

=====
Never a horse that cain't be rode,