[Sca-cooks] Sauce rundown

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 17 22:27:56 PDT 2002

Ok, I've pulled out Le Repertoire de La Cuisine, and looked up some of the
mothers and derivations for my own amusement.  Here at the ones I found,
there are lots more, but they start getting really out there as far as
number and exotic quality of ingredients.  Some are quite different from
what I thought I knew or remembered.  Both Le Repertoire and Escoffier call
for vinegar reductions for both Hollandaise and Bernaise.  Le Rep. says
finish Hollandaise with lemon juice, Esc. says finish with one drop of
lemon. (I tend to go for a good squirt, myself). What is mignonette pepper?
Christianna

Bechamel - White roux moistened with milk, salt, onion stuck with clove,
cook for 20 minutes.

Cardinal - Bechamel sauce with fish stock, truffles essence and lobster
butter, cayenne pepper.

Ecossaise (Scotch Egg Sauce) - Thin Bechamel sauce garnished with white of
eggs cut in strips and hard yolk of eggs passed through a seive.

Mornay - Bechamel sauce mixed with butter, grated gruyere and parmesean.

Espagnole - Foundation sauce made with brown roux, brown stock, fresh
tomatoes, mushroom parings, mirepoix of carrots, onions, thyme, bay leaves
(called brown sauce).

Demi-glace - Espagnole sauce reduced to perfection (called half-glaze).

Veloute - White "roux". Moisten with white stock.  (Fish veloute w/fish
stock, chicken veloute w/chicken stock, etc.)

Supreme - reduced veloute. Cohere with cream.

Ivoire - Supreme sauce with pale meat glaze.

Allemande - ordinary veloute cohered with yolk of eggs.

Aromates (Aromatic sauce) - Pale veloute, mixed with an infusion of thyme,
basil, marjoram,chives, chopped shallots, and black pepper corns, garnished
with chervil and blanched tarragon, lemon juice.

Mayonnaise - Put some yolk of eggs in a basin.  Season with salt, pepper,
cayenne, pour some vinegar on the yolks while whisking gently until frothy.
(This sauce is principally used for vegetable dishes.)

Chantilly - Mayonnaise sauce with lemon juice instead of vinegar, mixed with
whipped cream.

Remoulade - Mayonnaise sauce with mustard, garnished with capers, parsley,
gherkins, chervil and tarragon, and finished with anchovy essence.

Tartare (Cold) - Mayonnaise with hard yolk of eggs, garnished with onions
and chives finely chopped.

Hollandaise - Reduction of vinegar with mignonette pepper.  Add yolk of eggs
and whisk in gradualy some melted butter and a little water or cream, strain
and finish with lemon juice.  (This sauce must not boil, and only requires
heat to cook it).

Maltaise - Hollandaise sauce with zest and juice of blood oranges.

Mousseline ou Mousseuse  - Hollandaise sauce mixed with stiffly whipped
cream.

Moutard - Hollandaise sauce with mustard.

Noisette - Hollandaise sauce with nut brown cooked butter.

Bearnaise - Reduction of chopped shallots, mignoette pepper, tarragon, salt
and vinegar.  Add yolk of eggs and melted butter, whisk the sauce briskly on
a slow fire so as to ensure the cooking of the yolks, pass through tammy
cloth and add chopped tarragon and chervil.

Foyot - Bernaise sauce with meat glaze.

Choron - Bernaise sauce with tomato puree.

Tyrolienne - Choron sauce with oil instead of butter.

Paloise - Same as Bernaise, with mint instead of tarragon.

Robert Sauce - Chopped onions, cooked in butter, without colour.  Moistened
with white wine, vinegar, pepper; reduce, add half-glaze, and mustard to
finish.

Charcutiere - Robert sauce garnished with julienne of gherkins.