[Sca-cooks] Re: Italian menus repost with translations

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Wed Jul 17 23:35:39 PDT 2002

Helewyse de Birkestad replied to me with:
> Stefan wrote:
> Wow!!! You mean there is a menu (presumably different)
> for each day of the year in this manuscript?
>
> Helewyse, what do you say?
>
> Watch me twitch and scream!!
> Lead me not into temptation, I do a good job finding
> it all by myself.
> 1) it would be really cool (I don't deny this)
> 2) it would be a real big job (it would be best to
> transcibe then translate)

I thought it was already transcribed into ASCII text
but in ancient Italian? I would prefer to have both
the original text and the translation in the Florilegium
if possible. For the same reason that folks usually
want the original recipe in a book of redacted recipes.

> 3) no way until about September (first there is War
> and like most people I am mid War prep panic, not
> enough clothes, car too small etc. etc, then there is
> completion and clean up of my last translation
> project, then I have a class on herbs to prepare)

Yes, I understand. Even if I wasn't trying to get some
more hot weather clothes, and maybe some simple shoes
made for Pennsic. I have no set deadlines for the
Florilegium, although I prefer to get things before
folks forget about them or get involved in other
projects. I might be able to point you to some helpful
files in the Florilegium if you give me more details.
:-)

> 4) I would love another Italian speaker to help me
> proofread (I can provide references to dictionaries
> that carry obsolete and archaic terms that are
> essential for translation of old italian, modern
> dictionaries are TOTALLY useless)

That is a good idea. You can also post your translations
here for comments. What doesn't work is to post such
things here and expect me to determine which comments
and suggestions to use and which not to. If you choose
to do this, I'd prefer that you decide what to do after
hearing the comments and send me the finished or
updated text. Having one person be the final arbiter
on such things also leads to a more consistant
document.

> How is that for a response:-)

Does that mean you will do this? Or at least consider

taking it on? It appears that more than a few folks would
find it useful or interesting.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net