[Sca-cooks] Re: Herbals

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Jul 18 15:58:21 PDT 2002

> >That isn't actually what I asked, BTW. There are some good works on the
> >history of herbals (one I can cite offhand is Rohde's _Early English
> >Herbals_) and of course there are three or four more scholarly ones.
>
> Ooops.  you are right; I did misread the question.  I have Rohde and
> rely a good deal on its excellent bibliographies.

There's a new one just out recently, too: _An Illustrated History of the
Herbals_ by Frank Anderson, goodness knows if it's any good, and there's
the old standard _Herbals : their origin and evolution : a chapter in the
history of botany, 1470-1670_ by Agnes Arber which I'm ashamed to say I've
only skimmed.

Akim, would you be interested in writing up a short rant on Culpeper for
my kingdom herbalist guild newsletter? I'm trying to wean people off Mrs.
Grieve and Culpeper but when you do most of your emailing from work and
your books are at home, you get sloppy and use what's on the web.

(And have you read _Charleston Kedding: A History of Kitchen Gardening_? I
found it fascinating -- just finished reading it all the way through-- but
would be interested to know what a professional thought of it.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
	"Index your brain."