[Sca-cooks] Re: Herbals

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Jul 18 16:38:27 PDT 2002

Anderson is good, but it's not new. My hardback says
Columbia University Press, 1977. This must be a reprint.
He surveys 32 works.
And yes Charleston Kedding is very nice and very readable.
Another to take a look at is The Country House Kitchen Gardens,
1600-1950, edited by C. Anne Wilson. It compliments
the Charleston Kedding volume very well.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
>snipped--->
> There's a new one just out recently, too: _An Illustrated History of the
> Herbals_ by Frank Anderson, goodness knows if it's any good, and there's
> the old standard _Herbals : their origin and evolution : a chapter in the
> history of botany, 1470-1670_ by Agnes Arber which I'm ashamed to say I've
> only skimmed.
snipped (And have you read _Charleston Kedding: A History of Kitchen
Gardening_? I