[Sca-cooks] Re: Herbals

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Jul 22 23:07:19 PDT 2002

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa said:
> There's a new one just out recently, too: _An Illustrated History of the
> Herbals_ by Frank Anderson, goodness knows if it's any good, and there's
> the old standard _Herbals : their origin and evolution : a chapter in the
> history of botany, 1470-1670_ by Agnes Arber which I'm ashamed to say I've
> only skimmed.

Sounds interesting. And perhaps a good introduction for someone wanting to
inquire about period herbals and associated subjects rather than just reading
through miscellaneous herbals.

> Akim, would you be interested in writing up a short rant on Culpeper for
> my kingdom herbalist guild newsletter?

I would be interested in such an article. If someone believes ardently in a
subject, writing an article about the subject for the Florilegium is one way to
get their point of view out to others.

> (And have you read _Charleston Kedding: A History of Kitchen Gardening_? I
> found it fascinating -- just finished reading it all the way through-- but
> would be interested to know what a professional thought of it.

Does this book have much material on period kitchen gardens?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net