[Sca-cooks] Are cobblers, crisps, pies OOP?

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 18 22:23:34 PDT 2002

On 18 Jul 2002, at 22:05, Isabella di Giovanni wrote:

> I know the question is probably very basic, but as you all know I am
> VERY new to this. How do I even go about finding out if something is
> OOP or not? Like apple crisp/Betty or apple cobbler or even apple pie
> (substituting almost any fruit)?

The best way is to browse through period cookbooks.  You can
also read through the Florilegium files on the foods you're
researching.  Or you could ask on this list.  :-)

Yes, fruit pies and tarts are period.  I'm not sure about things like
crispsand Bettys -- sprinkling pastries with cinnamon sugar is
period, but I don't recall any recipes with crumb/streusel topping.

> I do hope you don't get too annoyed at some of my questions.

Asking questions is an excellent way to learn.  And it's a good bet
that for any question you ask, no matter how basic, there are
several lurkers waiting to read the answer.

> I have
> been lurking and some of the things  you talk about are WAY OVER MY
> HEAD (Yep, even bump.bump) but at least I know that I am in the
> company of experts.

There are some real experts on this list.  There are professional
chefs and cookbook writers, and people who hope someday to boil
water.  We learn from one another.  I have knowledge about certain
topics, and in others I'm a rank novice.

::clearing throat::  What are the best cuts of pork, or kinds of ham,
for boiling?

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net