[Sca-cooks] Are cobblers, crisps, pies OOP?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jul 19 04:39:19 PDT 2002

There is one cookbook that you should look at for
appropriate pie and pastry recipes. It's in English
and it can be read and worked with. It dates from
1545 in its earliest printing.

It's on the web at:

http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/kobu.htm

It's under the section Further European cookery texts..

A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye (16th c.)...
click on that--

Thomas Gloning has put up the undated edition of circa
1557/58 but the text is the same as the 1545 edition.

This will give you a good range of pie recipes. As to the rest
of your questions, there are long involved answers to all
the questions regarding what constitutes a slump, duff, pie, tart,
betty, crisp, cobbler, etc. It's not a yes and no subject.

You might want to acquire a copy of Martha Washington's Booke of Cookery
for it's excellent commentary and bibliography. It provides a lot of
material on how one looks at and examines a manuscript of recipes that
dates from the Tudor-Jacobean period within the context of other printed
recipes and source materials. The editor Karen Hess did an excellent
job. Also consider getting a copy of C. Anne Wilson's Food and Drink in
Britain as it answers these sorts of questions also. Both are still in
print and can be purchased from a number of bookstores or ordered from a
library on interlibrary loan.

Hope this helps--

Johnna Holloway   Johnnae llyn Lewis

Isabella di Giovanni wrote:
 I know the question is probably very basic, but as you all know I am
VERY new to this. How do I even go about finding out if something is OOP
or not? Like apple crisp/Betty or apple cobbler or even apple pie
(substituting almost any fruit)?