[Sca-cooks] need help identify these items

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jul 19 13:23:35 PDT 2002

> Since the instructions call for orace, which is Orris
> Root, which is Iris root, _and_ it calls for "Calamus
> Aromaticus", which you say is "the root of Sweet
> Flag".
> Last I heard, Sweet Flag was a form of Iris.  Has no
> one but me noticed the similarity in ingredients?

well, they are both bulb-forming plants with similar leaf structure.
Irises are sometimes called 'Flags'
The roots/bulbs of each, when harvested and dried and ground, make a very
nice  powdery substance with a faint smell which is often used in
cosmetic recipes. So, yes.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
	"Index your brain."