[Sca-cooks] need help identify these items---LONG

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sat Jul 20 06:33:15 PDT 2002

Located my copy of Geoffrey Grigson's The Englishman's
Flora from 1958.

Cypress is probably what has been discussed but Grigson notes
that "CYPRESS" is a local name for tamarisk which was
introduced and grown in Tudor England. Gerald grew it later
in the century. OED is interesting:
cypress in such Forms as ciprese, cypris, sypres, cipris,
cipres, cypres, cipriss, -ys, cyprys, syprees, -ese, cupresse,
cipresse, cypresse, cipreis, cyparesse, syprys, cypers, can mean
a variety of plants-- OED lists:
--A well-known coniferous tree, Cupressus sempervirens,
 a native of Persia and the Levant;
--Applied to various trees or shrubs allied to the
 true cypress, as African c., the genus Widdringtonia
 (Miller Plant-n.); bald, black, or deciduous c.,
 Taxodium distichum; embossed c., the Chinese genus
 Glyptostrobus; Japanese c., the genus Retinospora;
 swamp c., the genus Chamæcyparis (Miller).
---Applied to various plants taken to resemble the cypress-tree,
 as broom c., Kochia scoparia; dwarf c., heath c.,
 names proposed by Turner for Lycopodium alpinum;
 field c., Ajuga Chamæpitys; garden c.,
a. in Gerarde, Artemisia maritima;
b. in Lyte, Santolina Chamæcyparissus;
 standing c., Gilia coronopifolia; summer c., Kochia scoparia.
ENTRY 2 says---
'cypress2. Obs. [A corruption of L. cyperus, cyperos,
 app. confounded with cypress1. ] The Sweet Cyperus or Galingale
Entry 3 concerns a range of textile fabrics that came from Cypres.

Regarding Sweet Flag, Grigson lists Sweet Rush as a common name here
and says that Acorus Calamus was a new introduction to Elizabethan
England, having been brought from Turkey in 1567. He does not mention
connection with "lemon- grass of Malabar" which the Fussells wrote
about in in the 1948 Plat.
OED however mentions both---
OED cites calamus as: "A reed, a cane:
 vaguely used by early writers, after Latin or Greek authors"; then
under
sweet calamus, C. aromaticus: says: "a. some eastern aromatic
 plant or plants (supposed by some to be Andropogon Schnanthus,
 the Sweet-scented Lemon Grass of Malabar). So here again the connection
is made between lemon grass and calamus. The next entry goes back
to the connection with Sweet Flag as it says: "applied by some
 English herbalists to the native Sweet Flag or Sweet Rush (Acorus
Calamus)."

Grigson includes a great deal of material on the Gladdon or Stinking
Iris and the Yellow Flag, including a paragraph of common names
for each. OED gives orace as orris and says of it:
"A plant of the genus Iris, esp. Iris germanica and I.
 florentina (Mayne); the flower-de-luce"; "Short for orris-root,
-powder";
and "Comb. orris-pea, an issue-pea made of orris-root; orris-powder,
powdered orris-root.
which includes the quote---
1602 Plat Delightes for Ladies iv. ii,
 Take..some orace powder, and foure ounces of Beniamin"
OED later in the same entry lists orris-root.
 The rhizome of three species of Iris (I. florentina,
 I. germanica, I. pallida) which means that the source might be
any of three plants.

Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

johnna holloway wrote: on Friday July 19th-->