[Sca-cooks] need help identify these items

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Jul 19 04:21:37 PDT 2002

I haven't been up to doing anything about this question,
but I did pull my copy of Plat off the shelf.
This is from Sir Hugh Plat's Delightes for Ladies. I own the Fussell
edition from 1948. Skipping over Orace and Cypres,
I noted that

Calamus Aromaticus is identified by the Fussells as supposed to be
Andropogon Schoenanthus, the sweet-scented lemon-grass of Malabar.

Now where they got this I can't tell you and I haven't had the time to
take it further or to run
the OED/MED searches yet. I'll try and run it through Grigson later
today and see what he says.

Johnna Holloway    Johnnae