[Sca-cooks] Pennsic birthdays- ot

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Sun Jul 21 21:34:34 PDT 2002

> --- Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com> wrote:
>> What's a half-birthday?
>> --Maire
>
> Very important, for the pre-teen set, at least it was
> when I was that age ;-) That's the day you can say
> you're seven _and a half_ as opposed to being just
> seven any more ;-)
>
> Phlip, forty-eight and a half, but still not grown up ;-)

There are other reasons for celebrating a "half-birthday". My niece
was born on Christmas day. While the family celebrates her birthday
at that time, they have a bigger celebration six months later for
her "half-birthday". Otherwise her birthday kind of gets buried in
the other celebrations of that time of year.

I had a recent question about how birthdays were celebrated in period.
 From what I remember being said, they really weren't. Or can someone
give us any information about period birthday celebrations?
    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net