[Sca-cooks] Thanks Olwen::::5000 bottles of spice on the wall, 5000 bottles of spice.

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Jul 22 20:38:05 PDT 2002

Phillipa commented:
> I have a white Tupperware box full of
> baggies full of my "medieval" spices and a red Tupperware box full of baggies
> full of "ethnic" spices.)  Between my 9 month bout of colitis, 4 of those
> months when I was VERY sick and now the heat wave, I haven't been cooking
> very much.  But I was just thinking I'd better start doing *some* cooking....
> but as soon as the heat breaks!

Phillipa, if I may, I'd recommend getting a hold of some glass bottles

and get those medieval and ethnic spices out of the baggies and into
the (hopefully) tightly sealing glass containers. The spices and herbs
will last longer that way, especially in that heat wave. If your
house is air-conditioned, it would also be best to keep them in the
cool part of the house.

I've heard dark glass bottles are better than the clear ones, but
the clear ones are the only ones I can find in small sizes with
large mouths consistantly.

I can buy a variety of glass bottles for storing spices from the

Container Store or World Foods in my area. I've also bought sets
of spice bottles at garage sales or flea markets.

You can find more information on storing spices in the spices-msg
file in the Florilegium.

    Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net