[Sca-cooks] period pizza

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 24 08:07:02 PDT 2002

<quoth Stefan>
> Well, how about making period pizza with these?
> pizza-msg         (15K) 12/ 3/98    Period pizza and similar items.

mmmmmmm, sounds good

> Do you have any idea why you are on such good terms with the site owners?
Is it
> that you do a very good job of cleaning it up? Or you've shown that you
won't
> steal or damage their pots and utensils?
Mostly this.
>You put up more of a fuss when forced to use the site cook than other
groups?
> Perhaps this information would help other groups establish a good
relationship
> with their site owners.
Not so much this.

If you think it will help, I will look further into it. But I believe you
hit the nail on the head initially. We (my group and the groups in our area)
have the reputation of leaving a site, kitchen and all, in better shape than
we found it. With one camp that we just used for the first time, I went to
the extreme of taking photos of the kitchen in great detail with a digital
camera. On sunday I reviewed the images and made sure that everything was
returned to it's exact position when we begun. Added to that we have several
professional food preparation type people in our group that make sure that
everything is clean and sanitary and make sure that everyone in the kitchen
has proper knowledge of sanitary rules.
As far as I know we never pitched a fit about using the kitchen. When we
were told this spring that the SCA was the only group allowed to use the
kitchen it came as a surprise to most of us. And we have been using the site
for years

With the aforementioned new site we were very enthusiastic with the site
caretakers and owners. We encourage them to wander around the event and see
for themselves what we are doing. People answer whatever questions they may
have. As the event wore on they even ended up donning tabards and we made
space for them at the feast. We had nothing to hide and nothing to be
ashamed of so we opened our event to them.

. My belief is that the rules that guide our interaction with each other
within the SCA also apply to those outside. Curtsey, politeness, honesty,
and integrity go along way to gaining peoples trust. But they are worthy
goals in and of themselves, not just as ulterior motives.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva