[Sca-cooks] Chicken hearts [oop]

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 25 08:19:31 PDT 2002

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Re Fat Albert, I STR there was a one-shot, half-hour animated cartoon
> made for prime-time (as in evening, when things can't suck _quite_ as
> bad as they did on Saturdays, when the audience was primarily
> children) that I recall was actually quite good. The series wasn't
> for at least a year or two, IIRC.

Hey, I think I remember that!  Sort of like they had done all the "cels"
in charcoal on rough paper?  Had to be 1969 or 1970, it's not on IMDB
for some unknown reason.

> And then, the Chicken Heart routine actually _was_ on some radio
> program: he's not kidding. It may have been changed somewhat either
> for effect, or simply by his own childhood, selective memory, but it
> may actually have been on "Lights Out" (again, a real program) for
> all I know. I'll look it up ASAP.

Honest to murgatroyd, it was real.  Aired 1937.  Here is an "old time radio"
episode guide that lists it, you can even order a tape from these people:
http://otrsite.com/logs/logl1003.htm

I did find a place from which you can download Cosby's "Chicken Heart"
http://www.geocities.com/halloween_night2000/2/hallomenu.html

Maybe I should be a good girl and look up some recipes for chicken heart,
but I'm just too chicken-hearted.

Selene Colfox