[Sca-cooks] low carb medieval

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 25 11:49:27 PDT 2002

The induction phase wants me to take in under 9 grams of carbohydrate per day.
Even carrots and other mildly sweet veggies will have to be rationed.  My pies
will remain without crust for a while.  Maybe dust a buttered pan with soy flour
and wheat bran, just so we can get the food out of the pat at all.

> Almost any mince of meat can be done - like the filling of the pork pies
> from 12th night.

which 12th night?  I guess any ol' pork pie filling will do.  I do make a mean
Scotch Egg, coated with the aforementioned soy flour and wheat bran instead of
bread crumbs.  The last time I tried it, nobody noticed the difference.  ;-)

> The wortes that are made with things like spinach, kale, mustard leaves,
> assorted 'herbes' in oil, butter or cream can be failry low carb once you
> discount the dietary fiber,

Of course!  But I was thinking of more "portable" goodies for tourney days.
There's only so much salad I can bear to look at.  :-p  Yeah, I'm going to have
to get used to it.

Selene C, not a big vege fan
selene at earthlink.net