[Sca-cooks] low carb medieval

Marilyn Traber marilyn.traber.jsfm at statefarm.com
Thu Jul 25 10:12:10 PDT 2002

Actually a lot of foods can be made failry low carb with little effort -

bear with me here, I am at work and only have access to my Netzer's:
1 eighth of a pillsbury's brand allready pie crust, makes a 9" pie:
120 cal, >1.0 ge protein, 13 gr carb, 7 gr fat, 5 gr chol, 100 mG sodium

fill with:
har 279 #x1 - daryoles:
xl. Daryoles. Take croddys of [th]e deye, & wryng owt [th]e whey; & take
yolkys of Eyroun nowt to fewe, ne nogt to many, and strayne hem bo[th]e
to-gederys [th]orw a straynour, & [th]an hard [th]in cofynne, & ley [th]in
marew [th]er-in; & pore [th]in comade [th]er-on, an bake hem, & serue hem
forth.
fresh curds, egg yolks, marrow. - for the heck of it, redacted roughly:
3 cups strained knudson small curd cottage cheese - 12 gr carb
6 egg yolks - 1.8 gr carb
marrow - most animal products have negligable carbs...not found in  my book
;-(

so for a daryole, 14.725 per serving.

Libre del coch - flaons
1/2 lb farmers cheese - 0.0 gr carb
1/4 lb ricotta - 6.0 gr carb
5 eggs - 3.5 gr carb
4 crumbled mint leaves <.1 gr carb
2 tsp rosewater < .1 gram carb

so for a portion of flaons, 14.212 gr carb

Almost any mince of meat can be done - like the filling of the pork pies
from 12th night.

The wortes that are made with things like spinach, kale, mustard leaves,
assorted 'herbes' in oil, butter or cream can be failry low carb once you
discount the dietary fiber,

margali

the quote starts here:
So, steering the discussion back toward topic:  Period or peri-oid low carb
dishes, tourney meals, other SCA-applicable things?  I'm keen on making the
soy pancakes work for me.  I did a tourney lunch of soy "blini" [very thin,
eggy with soy flour], sour cream and caviar.  Oh yeah baby, we were roughing
it on this diet.

Selene C.