[Sca-cooks] Recipe Help

Patricia Collum pjc2 at cox.net
Thu Jul 25 14:17:43 PDT 2002

The guild I belong to is very new and very inexperienced. We meet twice a
month to try our hand at redacting the same recipe. This is the recipe we
used at our last meeting. It wasn't too complicated and allowed for a little
creativity. My 16 year old daughter did a wonderful tasting version that led
to a discussion about whether celery seed was period.

Lady Cecily
Barony of Sundragon in Atenveldt

Almedroc...En Altra Manera...Ab Muyols D'ous
Si vols ffer almedroc, vos aurets III o III grans
d'ayls, e aurets fformatge segons que volrets ffer
almedroc; e piquar-ho ets tot be; e piquats-hi II o
III muyols d'ous cuyts en qygua.  E quant sia be
piquat, exetats-ho ab de bon brou e ab mantegua; e si
no avets mantegua, metets-hi un raig d'oli e de bons
espicies.  E ffets per guissa que tot sia espes, que
no ffa a bolir.  E don's ab porcel qui vaya en ast.  E
no, l deu hom destrempar manant, que destries, mas qux
piquant se he la.

Axi matex se ffan ayns esquesos, mas ffa-n'i ha metre
mes anys.  E no y met hom salsa ne nagunes espiecies,
mas solament que sia blanch e espes, que no ffan a
bolir.

E ffa a donar calent, axi com almedroch.

Garlic and Cheese Sauce
--------------------------
if you want to make almedroc, have two or three cloves
of garlic, and have as much cheese as you need, and
pound them together well, and also two or three egg
yolks cooked in water.  And when they are well
pounded, blend it with good broth and with fat; and if
you don't have fat, add a dash of oil, and good
spices.  And make it so that it is very thick, and
doesn't need to be boiled.  And serve it with
spit-roast sucking pig.  And you should not stir in
the broth, as it will curdle, but pound it in.

In the same way you can make anys esquesos, but you
need to add more garlic.  And don't add any spices so
that the sauce is white and thick, and doesn't need
boiling.

And serve it hot, like almedroc.