[Sca-cooks] Recipe Help

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Jul 26 07:27:11 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/25/2002 4:48:14 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
apollonia at bellsouth.net writes:

> Hey all!  I have no primary sources, and have just been told that we are
> doing an A & S cooking session at my house!  So I could use a recipe, or
> two, that can be made during the hour to hour and a half session....

Well, that's broad - can anybody BRING sources with them???
What kind of facilities do you have?  What kinds of utensils and kitchen
appliances?  It's no use us telling you a recipe that needs a food processor
if you haven't got one, or a pie recipe if your oven's on the blink!
Meat, veg, starch, dessert?  Any preference?  Who's paying for ingredients
and how much are they willing to spend?  Will they eat wierd stuff like lamb,
or do they want to start with something simple and relatively "normal", like
macrows (mac -n- cheese)?

For the record, here is a simple and good favorite - as long as you've a
working oven!

LOSYNS
(From Curye on Inglysch, 14th century English, as redacted
in Cariadoc's Miscellany, and adapted by Brangwayna Morgan)

Take gode broth and do in an erthen pot.  Take flour of payndemayn and make
therof  past with water, and make therof thynne foyles as paper with a
roller;  drye it harde and seeth it in broth. Take chese ruayn grated and lay
it in disshes with powdour douce, and lay theron loseyns isode as hoole as
thou might, and above powdour and chese; and so twyse or thryse, & serve it
forth.

Modern English (by Brangwayna Morgan):  Take good broth and put in an earthen
pot.  Take flour of paynedemayn (best quality white flour) and make thereof
paste with water, and make thereof thin foils as paper with a roller; dry it
hard and boil it in broth.  Take grated ruayn cheese ( a semi-soft cheese)
and lay it in dishes with powder douce, and lay thereon boiled lozenges as
whole as you can, and above powder and cheese; and so twice or thrice and
serve it forth.

1 lb lasagna noodles
2 10.5 oz cans vegetable broth + 2 cans water
1 lb mozzarella cheese
powder douce:
  2 t sugar
  1 t cinnamon
  1/2 t ginger

Grate cheese and mix up powder douce.  Bring broth (you could use meat broth
equally well; I choose to use vegetable broth because I serve this as a
vegetarian dish) to a boil, put in pasta, cook 10-12 minutes, and drain.  Put
1/3 of the cheese in a dish, sprinkle about 1/3 of the powder douce over it,
and layer 1/3 of the hot pasta on top; repeat this twice, reserving a little
powder douce to sprinkle on top.  Bake at 350º for 15 minutes to melt cheese
and serve.
Serves 8 about a 4 oz serving, or 16 a 2-oz serving

Brangwayna Morgan