[Sca-cooks] Latin lesson, OT OOP

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Jul 26 09:28:29 PDT 2002

At 08:42 AM 7/26/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Alternatively, the Church tends to use rather odd
>Latin at times, and it was the language of
>communication between various different language
>speakers in the MA. Many of them didn't understand or
>use epigrams.
>
>I suspect, though, that this is some translation by a
>modern student, who hasn't quite gotten control of his
>cases and tenses.

The latter may be the case, but I doubt the Church has anything to do with
it- we're talking about Olwen's dad, and who knows where he heard it.
Certainly not likely from a Medieval Latin scholar.

(I was just working from the Wheelock and lexicon I have here- most of my
books are, as usual, at dad's house 180 miles away.)

'Lainie
how bout:
veni, vidi, visa- I came, I saw, I spent money
veni, vidi, veggie- I came, I saw, I ate a salad
veni, vidi, Venus- I came, I saw, I am a Goddess!