Marzipan (was Re: [Sca-cooks] Pennsic)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 26 20:33:07 PDT 2002

On 27 Jul 2002, at 2:16, Olwen the Odd wrote:

> Yes.  I have made and had marzipan made from scratch.  I have always
> told everyone that the giant quantity of stuff I/We do starts with
> almond paste out of a can.

Which is very practical, considering the size of some of your
projects.  I grind my own for peach pits because it makes a
difference in the taste.  Since they're small, it doesn't take much to
produce a whole bunch.  (I currently have 77 pits in my kitchen,
made from 8 oz. of almond meal).  If I were to start doing decorative
marzipan, I'd certainly be looking around for bulk sources.

>The brand I use does not add almond oil,
> but, none-the-less, after thousands of pounds of playing with and
> using the stuff, I can no longer stand it.

It's a pity you can't enjoy the taste anymore -- but at least you can
get satisfaction from the artistry of your creations.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net