[Sca-cooks] OT Atkins diet, etc(and now a question)

Stacy Morris katrenfitzgerald at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 27 04:15:17 PDT 2002

Having never acctually read Atkins book I am suprised
to hear that it acctually cuts out all carbs(ick). The
version my doctor reccomended to me still allows
several fresh fruits and vegatables but cuts out
sugars and grains completely. I still end up getting
about 22grams of carbs per day. I think it is
acctually a diet they reccomend to diabetics...the
question is now how safe is this?
--- Avraham haRofeh <goldberg at bestweb.net> wrote:
> > What gets me is the dieticians' and doctors' total
> disregard of the fact
> > that people react differently!  For some, Atkins
> is a really good diet--I
> > even lost my little potbelly on it, but I couldn't
> stand having no bread
> or
> > sweets. (Hate the taste of artificial sugars.) For
> others, that much fat
> > would not work, and a low-carb veggie diet is
> better.  What we need is an
> > understanding that if one doesn't work, try a
> different one--without
> saying
> > that the original NEVER works, just 'cause it
> didn't work in this case.
>
> Most of us don't disregard that fact. Nevertheless,
> the Atkins diet is
> UNSAFE and MEDICALLY UNSOUND. Oh, sure, it WORKS,
> but it's detrimental to
> your overall long-term health.
>
> Atkins works by reducing insulin secretion, by
> removing the carbohydrate
> stimulus. Insulin, among other things, is an
> appetite stimulant. You don't
> need ZERO carbs to reduce insulin - a moderate
> reduction (say 50-60%) will
> reduce insulin dramatically. The high-protein Atkins
> diet puts undue stress
> on the kidneys by creating a massively positive
> nitrogen balance, and can,
> over time, cause serious damage.
>
> A modified, not-so-high-protein,
> not-entirely-zero-carbohydrate version of
> Atkins works well for hyperinsulinemics. I strongly
> discourage the use of
> Dr. Atkins' books.
>
> Avraham

=====