[Sca-cooks] OT Atkins diet, etc

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Sat Jul 27 04:53:16 PDT 2002

In a message dated 7/27/2002 6:51:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
goldberg at bestweb.net writes:

> Atkins works by reducing insulin secretion, by removing the carbohydrate
>  stimulus. Insulin, among other things, is an appetite stimulant. You don't
>  need ZERO carbs to reduce insulin - a moderate reduction (say 50-60%) will
>  reduce insulin dramatically. The high-protein Atkins diet puts undue stress
>  on the kidneys by creating a massively positive nitrogen balance, and can,
>  over time, cause serious damage.
>
>  A modified, not-so-high-protein, not-entirely-zero-carbohydrate version of
>  Atkins works well for hyperinsulinemics. I strongly discourage the use of
>  Dr. Atkins' books.
>
>  Avraham

I am interested in seeing the sources for your statements. I have never read
anything by Dr. Atkins or on any of the lists that indicate a zero
carbohydrate diet is good or even feasible. Please let me know where you read
this.

There _WAS_ a study done by two doctors who ate a zero carbohydrate diet for
I think one year. He DOES mention this study in his book, but AFAIK he does
not recommend it. Perhaps this is what you're remembering? By the way, there
was no kidney or other damage mentioned in the study.

I would also like to see any documentation on people harmed by the Atkins
plan. I've never found any. This diet has been around for thirty years plus
and I have found no documentable evidence of anyone suing Dr. Atkins or in
fact even saying that they had been in any wise harmed by the diet. Add this
to the fact that Dr. Atkins, after thirty years of being scorned by the
Medical Establishment, has recently been asked to speak to Medical School
Students. This I saw on a television news report.

My Wife has been doing a much stricter regimen of Atkins than I have for two
years and it is with the blessings of her Doctor. She has had no problems
whatsoever with her kidneys, her blood pressure readings, and her last EKG
were great. You are talking to someone who used the same arguments you just
did when my Wife started this. Please let me know what I missed.

Thanks in advance

Corwyn

To be humble to superiors is duty,
   to equals courtesy,
   to inferiors nobleness.   __ Richard Saunders (Ben Franklin)