[Sca-cooks] SCA Trivia about Steve Jackson - OP, OT

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jul 27 08:03:57 PDT 2002

I met Varg before he became Baron.  He was a seneschal and I was a seneschal
and we spent a number of hours discussing various problems and their
resolutions.  He mentioned at the time that his gaming business was picking
up and he had less time to devote to the SCA.

There were a number of serious rivalries and feuds which had polarized the
Kingdom, some headbutting with the Sun Kings and Ansteorra's becoming a
kingdom which culminated in the Inquisition.  I don't believe Varg was
directly involved in the hostilities (he was very busy with the gaming
business), but I know that some of his friends were badly burned in the
in-fighting.  I think he had better things to do with his time, so he walked
out and never looked back.  He wasn't the only one who left during this
period.  I estimate we had a 20 percent population drop in the two years
around the Inquisition.  The North became a cohesive region at the time to
be able to present a relatively united front to the nobility and peers in
the rest of Ansteorra, which has caused its own problems over the years.

We got Jan from Bjornsborg to turn up for 25th Protectorate, so maybe Bryn
Gwlad will someday get Vargskol to show up for an anniversary event.

Bear