[Sca-cooks] Feast quantities

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jul 29 20:39:59 PDT 2002

> What Molli's referring to is one of the first things we talk about in the
> class, a list of questions you must be able to answer "YES" to before
> committing to being in charge of a feast.  One of them is "Can you stand on
> your feet for 10 hours or more?".

*sigh* Well, I can't. Plantar fascitis sux.
Which is why when I do food things, I arrange to be doing a great many
things sitting down. Cheese seems to be the only thing that needs to be
cut standing up.

Now, I know that I didn't stop _doing_ this weekend from the time I drove
back on site Friday at 2:30 pm until I went to bed at 2:30 am, and I was
back in the kitchen at 9 am. By 7 pm when the court board went out I was
exhausted and in serious pain-- if I had had to stand to do dishes that
night I would not have been able to walk the next morning. Three campmates
barred me and my deputy from the kitchen and washed up the dayboard dishes
for us; someone else tidied up the storage hall in the morning.

It was a long week, starting with 4 hours of shopping on Thursday that
left me so dopey I forgot that I couldn't substitute chocolate covered
pretzels for fruit and nut mix, and had to go back and exchange them.

About 2 pm on Saturday I asked myself (on a trip back to the hall to get
the eggs out of the cooler) whether it really would be more complicated to
do a feast for 125 instead of a dayboard and court sideboard for up to
750...

(Good questions, by the way.)