[Sca-cooks] Feast quantities

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 22 20:09:28 PDT 2002

I will admit baking is long hard work.  It is very cost effective if you
plan to use a large number of bake goods or are going to serve specialty
bake goods.  It doesn't take much experience to prepare simple breads, but
you need to plan for the time it takes.  If you have someone who likes to
bake, talk them into taking over the baking.  I've baked bread for many more
feasts than I've been the headcook for, and I'm certain Liadan will vouch
for the idea of bring a baker on-board.

Baking on site is a good idea only if there is enough time and oven space.
The frozen bread idea is also quite workable.  I prepared frozen loaves of
dough for an event where I had oven space, but didn't have enough time to
prepare the bread on site.  Since frozen bread dough keeps well, you can do
a couple of batches a week and build up a considerable stock of thaw and
bake loaves (depending on freezer space.  A chest type deep freeze is best.)

Bear