[Sca-cooks] Feast quantities

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 22 20:54:53 PDT 2002

On 22 Jul 2002, at 22:09, Terry Decker wrote:

> It doesn't take much experience to prepare
> simple breads, but you need to plan for the time it takes.

I regularly bake simple breads at home.  I have never done so in
quantity.

> If you have someone who likes to bake, talk them into taking over
> the baking.

I don't know if we have someone like that.  A bunch of good cooks,
but no bakers that I know of.

> Baking on site is a good idea only if there is enough time and oven
> space. The frozen bread idea is also quite workable.  I prepared
> frozen loaves of dough for an event where I had oven space, but didn't
> have enough time to prepare the bread on site.  Since frozen bread
> dough keeps well, you can do a couple of batches a week and build up a
> considerable stock of thaw and bake loaves (depending on freezer
> space.  A chest type deep freeze is best.)

Yes, I figured that I'd do them in small batches, if I decide to go in
that direction.  Can you give me an estimate on how long it takes a
frozen loaf to thaw and rise?  I realize that's dependent on
temperature and the yeast, etc., but can you give me a ballpark
figure?  Also, how much should I increase the yeast if I'm going to
freeze the dough?

Robin Carroll-Mann
rcmann4 at earthlink.net
"Mostly Harmless" -- Douglas Adams