[Sca-cooks] Feast quantities

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Jul 30 06:15:38 PDT 2002

Also sprach jenne at fiedlerfamily.net:
>  > Jadwiga Zajaczkowa said:
>>  > Which is why when I do food things, I arrange to be doing a great many
>>  > things sitting down. Cheese seems to be the only thing that needs to be
>>  > cut standing up.
>>  Why does cheese need to be, or be more convenient to, cut standing up?
>
>Cutting cheese is quanitity into cubes (as opposed to slices as made by a
>hand-held cheese slicer) is a real pain because the knives tend to stick
>in the cheese. If you are cutting large blocks of cheese with a knife,
>standing up gives you more leverage to cut straight down.
>
>We tried a commercial cheese wire but couldn't figure out how to make it
>work. I am going to try to get our local 'minister of acquisitions' to
>string a cheese wire in a hacksaw frame for cheese cutting... 45 pounds,
>mostly in 5 pound blocks, is no sinecure and this year I was painfully
>grateful to the enthusiastic teen pages who bounced into my kitchen Friday
>night and agreed to cut cheese for me.

Trick of the trade: use the thinnest (and narrowest) possible, but
(preferably) non-flexible knife, like a carbon steel slicing knife,
and wipe a little oil on the blade every so often. Obviously you need
to be extremely careful of where your hands are in relation to the
edge, and astronomically more so if any leaning on the blade is
taking place.

You know, if you're having a saw jury-rigged, you might find an old
paper-cropper (clean and treat suitably) and somehow replace the
blade with the saw thingy... or otherwise figure a way to pivot the
saw from/to a cutting board.

Adamantius
deserves to be called a scholar."
	-DONALD FOSTER