[Sca-cooks] Feast Ambience

Ratboy kattratt at charter.net
Tue Jul 30 20:06:07 PDT 2002

Well now that is kinda funny as that was the original reason I got on
this list.
I have done things in the past like dividing the hall into four seasons
for an allegorical ball/feast.  (Streamers of birds, flowers,
snowflakes, leaves etc... hanging from the corners of the room running
to the center of the room tying onto freestanding columns) in the same
feast we had a fountain, a "Marble Floor" (Painted cardboard), recreated
period paintings, mood lighting and uhmm well I think that was it...
Another feast we hung a tent from the ceiling (Worked Ok, I got the idea
from someone on this list... I think) , along with banners from all over
the Barony including the Prince and Princess' (she got to attend at
least) and a "Starry sky" of lights... (Mood lighting again and I don't
recommend using the "Icicle" style Christmas lights for this....it was
BRIGHT!!! sheesh).  Oh yeah and for that feast we used a "court yard"
backdrop of walls. (Once again painted cardboard.) ((Hey it's cheap and
it folds)) (All that painting and I go and forget the walls... sigh) Yes
I do have pictures and I hope one day to get them online. (Sorry Olwen
the baby has kinda interfered with that)...
I suggest snagging a local theatre person that is in your area that also
is in the SCA... we are around!!!  Ambience is our middle name....
Heck I even got snagged and had to decorate on the fly for our Baronial
Birthday... best part of that was the Baron walking in and
saying..."Hmmm well I guess we won't be needing those pennants on the
list field..."  I answered back from the ladder of course cause I had NO
idea what he was refering to at the time... "What pennants?" Ans."
Those..." (refering to the flag in my hand...) I of course replied "
These aren't pennants they are Hall Decor..."   He informed me that
"Well the hall decor usually hangs on the poles surrounding the list
field.  But I think they look better in here."
Of course he also had to shake his head when I replied "Do you mean
those nice masks?" when he told me that he liked the "Chess Match
headpieces" hanging on the Moose Head.  He left the room quickly... but
he did say that the hall looked great!
Also many thanks to the ladies with the fabric painted walls that came
in for that event...those were cool as well.

Second suggestion is to DIM the lights.  Not out mind you just down.
 Most places have multiple switches so that you can turn off some and
not the others.  It creates pools of light and brings tables closer
together... Making the whole experience more intimate.  That is the
easiest thing to do.

Entertainment is also great...
Those are just my tuppence...
Nichola